Educación Para Todos
Intensive Spanish Language and Volunteer Program
The school is located only 10 minutes from Central Park
(Learn Spanish while Supporting the Education of a Guatemalan child)
According to the laws of Guatemala, education is a right. But in reality, it is a privilege and a luxury reserved only for those who have sufficient resources. Guatemala ranks second to worst in all of Latin America with regard to literacy, second only to Haiti - a full 60% of our country's population is illiterate.
One of our principle objectives is to promote access to education for Guatemalan children who have limited resources, because we believe that the best way to eradicate poverty and social exclusion based on class, gender, and race is to provide pencils, books, and knowledge.
The Spanish School EDUCACIÓN PARA TODOS (Education for Everyone) was founded in response to the urgent need for educational access; we provide scholarships to students in need and help to finance educational projects in Guatemala. While our foreign students receive Spanish classes and immerse themselves in Guatemalan culture, they provide funds to educate local students who otherwise would not have opportunity to go to school.
In 2006, our goal is to provide 10 scholarships to students in elementary and high school. If you attend EDUCACIÓN PARA TODOS, you are directly helping to support the education of these Guatemalan students and giving them the opportunity to have a better future.
Our plan is to increase the number of scholarships and to carry out other educational projects as the program grows.
Since it was founded in 1991, the Spanish School EDUCACIÓN PARA TODOS has sponsored the following educational programs:
1. Scholarship Program: This program has helped 52 students in elementary and high school. Some of these students are now studying at universities.
2. Cultural Center Luis Cardoza y Aragón: In cooperation with another local organization, EDUCACIÓN PARA TODOS the Cultural Center Luis Cardoza y Aragón, a school that teaches art to children in Quetzaltenango (painting, theatre, guitar, and English). The Center now operates independently of our funds, thanks to the generous donation of a foreigner who currently supports all of its programs.
3. Elementary School Teachers in Santiago Atitlán: EDUCACIÓN PARA TODOS sponsored the salaries of several elementary school teachers in the village of Santiago Atitlán. Over the course of 12 years, they taught an average of 160 students per year. Today, these teachers receive a salary from Guatemala's Ministry of Education.
4. Donations of Books and Other Educational Materials: Whenever we have the opportunity to do so, we donate books, pens, and notebooks to schools that need them. If you would like to help, we are always looking for donations of teaching material, books, pencils, notebooks, etc.
5. Educational Seminars: Each year we organize and fund seminars in indigenous communities about the history of Guatemala, indigenous and women's rights, and political participation. Teachers from EDUCACIÓN PARA TODOS participate in these seminars alongside members of the communities.